Scam of the day – April 7, 2017 – Criminal identity theft victim sues police deparment

The problems encountered by someone whose identity has been stolen by a criminal who then commits crimes in the name of the identity theft victim are tremendous.   Victims of criminal identity theft have been arrested for crimes they never committed and often have had difficulty having the crimes, committed by someone who stole their identity, removed from their records.  John Ganley is suing the Albuquerque police department after being arrested for crimes committed by someone who had stolen his identity.  Ganley, who has no criminal record alleges the police were negligent in prosecuting him and that the entire matter caused him great distress and a worsening of his Crohn’s disease which can be affected by stress.


If you find that you are a victim of criminal identity theft, you should hire a lawyer and contact the police as well as the District Attorney’s office to straighten out the matter.  File a report indicating that you are the victim of identity theft.  It will be necessary for you to confirm your true identity through photographs and fingerprints. In addition, show law enforcement authorities your driver’s license, passport or any other identification that you might have that contains your photograph.

Get a letter from the District Attorney explaining the situation to have available if you are ever stopped for a traffic violation and your record is checked.  A few states have Identity Theft Passport programs through which anyone whose identity has been stolen by someone who uses it to commit crimes can, upon proving their identity, receive an Identity Theft Passport that protects them and confirms their true identity .  Even if your state does not have an Identity Theft Passport program, get a letter from the law enforcement agency that arrested the person using your name known as a “clearance letter” which indicates that you have not committed the crimes which were done by the identity thief who used your name.  Keep this document with you at all times.

2 thoughts on “Scam of the day – April 7, 2017 – Criminal identity theft victim sues police deparment”

  1. I am a grandmother that raised my grandson with disabilities, following the death of my daughter. My daughter died from complications resulting from my grandson’s birth. My grandson has lived with me since birth, and is my only positive memory remaining of my daughter.

    There is a criminal that somehow obtained my grandson’s first and last name (with a different middle name), date of birth, and place of birth. We were made aware of the identity theft when my grandson was in middle school (in Massachusetts) because Social Security sent us a letter advising that they were transferring my grandson’s benefits to a prisoner in North Carolina. We went to the police station and filed a report, obtained my grandson’s school records, and brought an expired passport for identification to the Social Security office. It is years later, and this nightmare has not ended, as my grandson was recently denied his medication at CVS and told that he is not himself, because the real individual is in North Carolina. I’m not sure where to go with this, as I am in my 70’s and just disappointed that this individual has continued to use my grandson’s identity. I worry every day my grandson leaves the house, and realize that he is also fearful to leave the home as a result of this identify theft. I know it will limit my grandson’s opportunities, and do not have the means for an attorney. What other steps can I take that will be effective to stop this criminal in North Carolina from using my grandson’s identity? Any recommendations would be appreciated? Thank You in advance!

    1. I assume that you are still living in Massachusetts, however it appears that the identity thief is incarcerated in North Carolina. You should follow the steps outlined in my Scam of the Day for April 7, 2017, namely confirming your grandson’s identity through fingerprints and photographs as well as any other forms of identification you may have. I would urge you to contact your local police department again and explain that this problem is still on going and see if they can help you by contacting North Carolina law enforcement officers to coordinate proving that the identity theft has occurred and correcting the North Carolina criminal records. Good luck and let me know what happens.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *